This Avoiding Insider Trading online training course is designed to help you understand the law and avoid the serious criminal penalties, fines, and civil lawsuits that can result if you trade in a company's stock based on confidential information. This course provides an overview of the law regarding Insider Trading, shows how it applies in the workplace, and explains the civil and criminal penalties that can result if an employee violates the law.
The topics that will be covered in this course include: material and non-public information, insider trading liability, and penalties.
Buying and selling stocks is no longer the sole domain of wealthy investors and large institutions. In fact, investing in securities has become an important factor in the financial lives of millions of people across many income levels. Frequent news reports of overnight billionaires in the stock market can tempt people to try to cash in on inside information they learn at work before the news is known to the general public. But buying or selling stock based on a simple 'tip' or tidbit of information can, under certain circumstances, violate federal law and lead to severe fines and even prison sentences.
As a result, it is essential that businesses provide their employees with a basic understanding of the laws against insider trading and what they need to do and not do -- to abide by them.
Course Learning Objectives
By taking this online Avoiding Insider Trading course, the user will learn to:
- Recognize the importance of the laws prohibiting insider trading.
- Identify "material" and "non-public" information within the context of insider trading.
- Identify who may be liable for violating insider-trading laws.
- Recognize the severity of the penalties for insider trading.
This online Avoiding Insider Trading course is made up of the following sections:
- Summary of the laws prohibiting insider trading
- Civil and criminal penalties for those who violate the law
- Material information
- Non-public information
- The potential liability of employees, their families, friends, and business associates
This Avoiding Insider Trading online training course was designed for employees and supervisors.
If you have any concerns as to whether this course is appropriate for you or your industry, please browse our full selection of online courses.